Teacup yorkies only live for 5 to 7 years. Some lucky teacup yorkies have been reported to reach nine years of age, but it’s an uncommon occurrence.
Teacup yorkies have very short live expectancies. In comparison, the life expectancy of regular Yorkshire terriers is between 13 and 16 years. The diminutive size of the teacup variety makes them more susceptible to various birth defects, injuries, and health issues.
Thankfully, proper care can help teacup yorkies live longer. Here are some things you can do to extend their lifespan:
- Monitor them during playtimes
- Carry them when going through crowded areas
- Provide them with adequate nutrition
- Give them at least 30 minutes of daily exercise
- Schedule regular vet checkups